Tomato season is in full swing and I’ve been stopping at every farm stand I see because there is nothing better than a fresh garden tomato!
What does one do with such an abundance of tomatoes? Make tomato soup!
Not all tomato soups are created equal and I wanted to make one with some great flavor. This is a modified recipe from one of my favorite food blogs Oh She Glows. The combination of the roasted tomato and garlic with the creamy coconut milk and the heat of garam masala is absolutely divine, I dare you not to go back for seconds!
Let’s get cooking!
– 5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half – I used regular garden tomatoes and they worked great.
– 2-3 large garlic bulbs, prepared for roasting
– extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper, for vegetables
– 3 cups roasted tomatoes
– 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh
– 1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
– 3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
– 2 tbsp tomato paste
– 2 tsp garam masala (add slowly, to taste)
– 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with tin foil (note that parchment paper will burn). Grab a small casserole dish to place the garlic in. Lightly drizzle on EVOO onto tomatoes with S & P. Roast for about 60 minutes, then remove the garlic. Continue roasting the tomatoes for an additional 20 minutes. Your oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them!
3. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Carefully transfer into a blender and pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture.