Small, dark red Adzuki beans have a sweet, nutty flavor and are often used in Asian desserts. Here they are flavored with savory red miso and wild mushrooms for a stew that is hearty, comforting and perfect for a snowy night in!
– 1 can Adzuki beans
– 2 bunches green onions, white and green parts chopped separately, divided
– 1/2 cup dried wild mushrooms, stems removed and crumbled
– 12 oz red potatoes, chopped
– 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp yellow or red miso (Japanese soybean paste)
2. Add 4 cups of water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 45 minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
3. Stir in potatoes, cover, and cook 15 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender and beans are soft but not mushy.
4. Ladle 1 cup broth from bean mixture into measuring cup. Stir in miso with fork until dissolved. Stir miso mixture into bean mixture, and simmer 2 to 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Sprinkle with green parts of a green onions before serving.