Tis’ the season for sweet indulgences and nothing hits the spot quite like a good Christmas cookie!
This week I participated in a very festive and fun holiday cookie exchange at my work, complete with an ugly Christmas sweater dress code!
Since I’ve gone gluten free this was my first time baking vegan GF Christmas cookies, and it turns out they were a huge hit with my coworkers! Let’s get baking!
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
– 3 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup cocoa powder
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 3/4 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
– 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 3/4 cup applesauce
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
– 1 tbsp red food coloring
– 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chunks (optional)
– 1 cup powdered sugar
1. In a bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a stand-up mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add applesauce 1/4 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary until well combined. Beat in vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, and red food coloring.
3. With mixer running, slowly add the dry ingredients to bowl, scraping sides as necessary until all the dries are combined.
4. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least 2 hours until dough is firm enough to form balls.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Place powdered sugar in a low bowl and roll cookie batter into balls about 1 heaping tablespoon in size. Generously coat them in powdered sugar and place them on a parchment-lined baking tray.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Enjoy! I challenge you not to eat them all in one sitting! 🙂